Washington and Tokyo agreed in July to set a reduced 15% tariff on imports from Japan in exchange for the package of U.S.-bound investment through government-backed loans and guarantees, but details of its contents remain unclear
Japan’s top trade negotiator cancelled a visit to the United States at the last minute on Thursday, further delaying talks designed to finalise a $550 billion investment package offered by Tokyo in exchange for relief on punishing tariffs.
Ryosei Akazawa was due to fly to Washington to craft a written confirmation of the terms of the package, such as the split of investment returns between the U.S. and Japan, a government source previously told Reuters.
STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD
U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick has also said there would be an announcement this week on Japan’s investment.
“It was found that there are points that need to be discussed at the administrative level during coordination with the American side. Therefore, the trip has been cancelled,” Japan’s government spokesperson Yoshimasa Hayashi told reporters on Thursday.
Washington and Tokyo agreed in July to set a reduced 15% tariff on imports from Japan in exchange for the package of U.S.-bound investment through government-backed loans and guarantees, but details of its contents remain unclear.
While Trump has touted the package as “our money to invest” and said the U.S. would retain 90% of the profits earned, Japanese officials have stressed that the investments will be d