Hi Welcome You can highlight texts in any article and it becomes audio news that you can hear
  • Mon. May 18th, 2026

Ekiti SUBEB paid N9.7bn UBEC funds, chair says

Byindianadmin

May 18, 2026

Ekiti State Government on Saturday said it has paid over N9.7bn as counterpart funds to the Universal Basic Education Commission under the Biodun Oyebanji administration in the last three and a half years.

The State Universal Basic Education Board Chairman, Prof Femi Akinwumi, added that “The counterpart funds paid between 2022 and 2025 stand at N9.7bn. Of the sum, N1.2bn was paid in 2022, N1.39bn in 2023, while N3.55bn was paid each in 2024 and 2025.”

Akinwumi, who spoke during a chat in Ado Ekiti, said, “The funds have significantly transformed public basic education in the state through the provision of conducive teaching and learning environments, improved access to education, increased enrolment and retention of pupils, and reduction in out-of-school children.

“The intervention has also improved healthcare delivery in schools through the provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene facilities, enhanced digital literacy, increased availability of teaching and learning materials and strengthened teachers’ capacity through regular training and retraining.

“The counterpart funds have also fostered collaboration between government and development partners, leading to improved monitoring and implementation of educational projects.”

The SUBEB chair said, “Within the period, 699 classroom blocks comprising 208 blocks were renovated in 2022, 168 in 2023, 161 in 2024 and 162 in 2025,” adding that 106 classroom blocks were currently undergoing renovation or construction across the state.

He said the board also procured 8,410 pupils’ furniture and 1,447 teachers’ furniture between 2022 and 2025 to improve comfort and learning outcomes in schools.

According to him, 59 boreholes had been sunk in schools across the state from 2022 to date, while 41 perimeter fences were constructed to enhance security.

Akinwumi said, “A total of 8,336 teachers had benefited from various capacity-building programmes between 2023 and 2026, while 355 caregivers were trained within the period.”

He said that over N860m had been released as running grants to public primary schools from 2022 to date, adding that the government also expended N182.3m on instructional materials during the period.

The SUBEB boss said the Oyebanji administration in the last three and a half years recruited 1,500 teachers and 200 non-teaching staff in 2023, as well as 362 security guards in 2024, to strengthen service delivery and improve school security.

On staff welfare, the SUBEB chairman said that 7,178 primary school teachers had been promoted from 2022 to date.

Akinwumi said, “259 teachers on Grade Level 15 were promoted to Grade Level 16 in 2025. This is a historic feat in the state’s education sector.”

The SUBEB chairman said a total of N268m had been disbursed under the staff housing and vehicle loan scheme for primary school teachers, adding that Oyebanji recently approved N200m to recapitalise the scheme.

Read More

Click to listen highlighted text!